I want this camera

In the world of video, there are tons of different types of cameras, each one having a specific use case. For example, DSLR's started out as just photography cameras, but as time went on they became adapted for video as well, and they are really good at both of these. So, they're kind of a jack-of-all trades. Professional camcorders and digital cinema cameras are two examples of cameras that are made for the sole purpose of video. Both types can be crazy expensive, but their use cases are completely different, and the video shot on them will even look entirely different.

The camera I'm talking about today is a digital cinema camera. It's the RED Weapon Monstro 8K VV, which like the name implies, is a cinema camera that shoots in 8K resolution. That's 33,177,600 pixels, which if you compare it to 4K, is four times as many pixels! That's a crazy amount of resolution for a digital camera!

I should be a bit more specific though. When you purchase a RED camera, that crazy price of $79,500 is just for the body of the camera. You don't get a lens, storage, a mount for a lens or even a way to plug a battery into the camera for that. Instead, what you have to do is buy every single piece of the camera separately. So, in other words, be ready to pay A LOT more. I actually put together a price list for what my dream setup with this camera would be, and not including lenses, the total price would be... $128,413!

Before I go on, the chances of me ever needing, let alone ever owning this camera, are very, very, very slim. And in all honestly, if you need a camera like this, the price is 100 percent worth it. The amount of flexibility this camera gives you in both production and post-production is incredible. The shots look absolutely gorgeous, I've heard they're great to use and RED has fantastic customer service (although they're storage cards apparently break a lot and kinda suck). In terms of the highest end of cinema cameras, that's actually pretty cheap for what you're getting. Cameras that use actual film can be even more insanely expensive. For example, the IMAX 70mm cameras are $500,000 dollars.

RED cameras can be customized to suit the needs of whoever is using it, and the idea is to only purchase what you're going to use (there are a lot of specific technical reasons they're fantastic too, but I'll leave that for another post). My reasoning for wanting one is to shoot documentaries. I may not have a use for this camera right now, but I want to get to a point where I can and have the option to own a camera like this.

If this interested you, I'd recommend looking into cinema cameras, because that is a really interesting rabbit hole to go down. It's honestly one of my favorite topics, because there is a crazy amount of depth to it and there's always something new to learn.

Comments

Popular Posts